Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Lost Art of Cooking Meatloaf!


Yes.  I think making meatloaf is considered one of those recipes that is dying out on American tables.  Too few people consider this an easy meal to make and with the misconceptions about beef and all the great lean cuts that are out there, meatloaf is a great protein packed meal to prepare!   Honestly it's suffered and it couldn't be anything but easy to make. Leftovers are even better and if you've never had a meatloaf sandwich then well, you're missing out!

So, last night, I prepared on of my husbands favorite, which is really my mom's rendition of her homemaking teacher's Mrs. Bonnie Rob's meatloaf back from 1960's. To me nothing says Sunday night at home than meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and purple hull peas we shelled from the summer before. 

You'll find the recipe below has most everything that you'll find in your refrigerator or pantry.  I get creative sometimes with my seasoning and God knows I love my Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, but I've discovered a new pepper seasoning called Jane's Kazu Original Mixed-Up Pepper Marinade and Seasoning.  It's so, so good!  You have to try it! Great on steaks and especially in this meatloaf!

I like to bake my meatloaf until well - well done.  So you'll see a slight burnt crust to mine from the combination of the extra cooking time and ketchup on top because sometimes it's how momma likes it that hits the table! 


Mom's Homemaking Class Meatloaf

4 lbs. ground hamburger meat, not totally lean
1  - 2 onions, chopped (we love onions so I use 2)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. steak seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ketchup for inside meatloaf
1/2 cup for the top of meatloaf
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
10 sliced of day old bread, crumbled up by hand or shredded by hand.

In a large bowl place hamburger meat, chopped onion, bell pepper, three beaten eggs, ketchup and Worcestershire Sauce. Blend well by hand (take off your rings or they'll get messy).  Once your meat mixture is together well, add the crumbled bread and seasonings continuing to blend together by hand.  You do not want to work with the meat too much as it can make it tough after it's cooked.  Blend until the meat and bread are together well. 

Place the meat loaf mixture in a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish that has non-stick foil or has been sprayed with cooking oil like Pam Cooking Spray.  You'll want to do this as the cleanup can be a complete mess if you don't! 

Bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until meatloaf has no remaining pink. You can use a meat thermometer and the recommended degrees for this is 145 - 164 degrees when it is stuck in the center.  Remember that the thicker your meatloaf is, the longer it will take to cook.  That is why I like to cook mine in a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish.

And one last note!  Certified Hereford Beef or CHB as we call it is the best beef to use with this recipe!  After a day at a cattle sale I thought it appropriate to make sure this recipe got on my site!  Enjoy!

Alise @ The Ranch Kitchen!

No comments: