Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Ranch Kitchen's Beef Stroganoff



Click here for easy print version of The Ranch Kitchen's Beef Stroganoff



One of my favorite things to do is re-invent leftovers.  I wrote years ago on my blog of my husbands sudden like of leftovers after the first grocery bill and week of marriage.  He decided then and there on our limited income that I could cook every other night and reinvent my left overs. 

God love his mother as she cooked fresh every night for her three sons and husband.  My mom being a working mother cooked every night as well, but learned to use what she had and be creative on those nights when leftovers were what was left! 

Tonight was definitely one of those nights when the leftover steak from a few nights ago became my version of beef stroganoff.  I simply sliced against the grain the sirloin steaks, sliced up an onion and quickly tossed them both over a little olive oil mixed with one teaspoon of my favorite Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. 




I then added a can of cream of mushroom soup, one can of beef broth and continued to cook on medium heat until the mixture came to a low boil. 

                                

The heat was then turned down to low and I added one cup of sour cream, mixed that all together and continued to cook on low for about ten minutes.  I served this beef stroganoff over fettuccine noodles. 

                                           



You'll notice in the first picture above that my simple salad did not have a tomato in it, but yellow squash instead.  I got this little jewel of an idea years ago from my good friend Sandra Southwell who is a great cook in her own right.  I'd never had fresh squash in a salad and it's a really fresh addition.  Looking back now that was some twenty or so years ago, but I still remember the great meals we had at her house when her daughter was a new born. 

So, take what you have and reinvent dinner.  It's definitely cheaper and usually is far better than how you cooked it the first night. This stroganoff was husband and daughter approved and looked like I had cooked from scratch!

  




The Ranch Kitchen's Beef Stroganoff

2 precooked sirloin steaks, sliced against the grain
1 onion, sliced in half, then quarters and into one inch slivers
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can beef broth
1 cup sour cream
Prepared noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes

Slice sirloin steak against the grain.  That means do not cut the meat in the same direction the meat runs, but across it.  Slice one onion in 1 inch slices.  In a skillet add 2 teaspoons olive oil with the steak and onion.  

Saute on low until steak and onion are cooked through and onions are translucent.  Add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of beef broth.  Cook on low until mixture begins to boil.  

Add sour cream and continue to cook on low heat until mixture is heated through and on a low boil.  

Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.  

Traditionally this is served over egg noodles, but tonight the pantry only had fettuccine!  

Cook's Note: You can also used ground beef that has been browned as the beef in this dish instead of steak. 

                       *****************************************************

Hope you'll give my version of beef stroganoff a try.  When grilling or smoking measts, always cook extra and your meals for the rest of the week are a snap.  

I've used brisket and leftover roast to create this beef stroganoff as well and it always turns out great!




Alise @ The Ranch Kitchen

4 comments:

Rene L'Evesque said...

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Hmmm. Never hoid of it. What should I use as an alternative?

The Ranch Kitchen said...

You could also use a Greek Season like the one by Cavender's or an all season spice.

Our OC Adventures said...

Do you think this would work with leftover tri tip? Trying to figure out what to do with it.

The Ranch Kitchen said...

Yes @ Our OC..so sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. Tri tip would be perfect and such a great cut for this beef stroganoff! Thanks for following my blog!