Sunday, October 13, 2013

Grilled Tomatoes with Cheese

One of the last hauls from our garden in the summer of 2013

Grilled Tomatoes with Cheese

Before I tried these grilled tomatoes, I would have thought it was pretty much a crime to smother my fresh, garden tomatoes in cheese and grill them.  But, when you try this simple recipe, you'll understand why. The acidity level remains on these fresh or if you buy organic tomatoes; and the grill brings out that sweetness that you usually only get in the summer.

Make sure you use the non-stick foil or spray your foil with oil before placing your tomatoes on it.  Use any variety of cheese and grill until the cheese is just melted.  I like to season the tops of the tomatoes with garlic salt and pepper before I add my two layers of cheese.

Grilled Tomatoes with Cheese

5 - 6 medium or large tomatoes
Parmesan cheese, grated
Colby Jack or cheddar Cheese, grated
Oil
Garlic salt, pepper or to taste

Prepare foil lined pan for spreading oil evenly, dredging the tomatoes on both sides to moisten in the oil.  Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and then top last with Colby Jack or cheddar cheese. Grill on a medium heat/fire until the cheese is melted.  Serve immediately with any main or side dishes. 

This is one of my husbands favorite ways to eat tomatoes. 

Enjoy!   

Alise


No comments: