Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pork Roast with Onions


Truly one of my very favorite Sunday suppers to make is a beef or pork roast.  It's a simple, throw it in the oven dinner, with little to minimal prep time.  I can run to the barn, work in my yard, or just take a nap and it's done in under a few hours in my oven...(in other words I'm not standing over an oven frying pork chops).  

This pork roast I share with you today takes a little extra time by adding some sliced onions, but the end results is a flavorful roast that you can eat on for days and transform in to many other recipes throughout your week ahead.

Suggestions to reuse this pork roast are suggestions like my King Ranch Pork Enchilada's (on the recipe tab above this page), and used as the meat inside a box of Tony Chachere's Jambalaya Mix for a quick meal when momma is tired and dinner is faster at home than at a restaurant!

I used my traditional foil pack as you'll see in the picture above, because #1, I'm lazy and don't like to clean a roast pan, and #2, I'm lazy and don't want to feel life is just too short to clean a roast pan!  So, with that said...try this recipe and use the foil!  

I also baked some sweet potatoes or yams on a foil lined cookie sheet, tip ends cut off sprayed with oil along side my pork roast in the oven.  Yams are cooked when you can gently squeeze them and they give.  Hope that makes sense and please don't burn yourself squeezing too hard or without oven mitts! :o)


Pork Roast with Onions


One large pork roast (pork shoulder, butt, or loin)
4 large onions (two if you just have too), sliced in 1 inch slivers
4 cups water
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste or  omit first three spices and use Tony Chachere's  Creole Seasoning
foil
Pam 'Oil' Spray

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  I use a convection oven that I love for even cooking.  Line a large baking dish with foil that has been sprayed with Pam Spray.  Place roast that has been seasoned liberally with garlic powder, salt and pepper or Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.  Place roast with the fat side up.  Cover with onions and gently pour water on all sides of the roast.  Cover tightly with foil that has been sprayed with Pam bringing both sides together folding upward.  Place in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on size of your roast.  For a 2 - 3 pound roast, I'd cook for 1 1/2 hours.  My roast last night was a 4 pounder and took 3 1/2 hours to cook.  For the last 30 minutes I uncovered the roast and cut slits on top if it to quicken my cooking time. My reason for this last step was that I got over zealous and bought a roast that was entirely too big! :o)

Be careful when you open the foil as the steam will easily burn you!  Once you take out the roast, allow it to sit for ten minutes before cutting it as this allows the juices to set up and keep it moist!

Slice or pull pork from the bone and serve along side your baked sweet potatoes (directions above), my Unbundled Green Beans here on this site under recipes, and some rolls.
Be careful when you open the foil as the steam will easily burn you!  Spoon the drippings or juice from the roast over your pork for added flavor and don't forget the onions as that is the best part!  My husband likes to add Tabasco Sauce on top of his pork roast!

You can also cook your yams/sweet potatoes beside your pork in the same roasting pan and it is fantastic.  My roast was just so big last night that I did not have room to add the yams!

Enjoy!

Alise @ The Ranch Kitchen



No comments: