Sunday, April 22, 2012

Zucchini Squares



Zucchini Squares

from Annette Hill contributor to - 
Cane River's Louisiana Living -
A Culinary Tour

My favorite cookbook, besides the one my mother made for me when I got married, is my Louisiana Living cookbook.  It's tattered and has more than a few recipe stains from years of constant use.  My husband on his trips to south Louisiana on his annual deep sea fishing trip, used to always bring me back a cookbook.  On one trip he brought me this treasured copy and it has become one of my very favorites.

Years ago, when my oldest daughter competed in 4H food contest, this zucchini recipe was one that she made.  She won a first place with it and since then we fix this throughout the year, especially when I have an abundance of zucchini from our garden. 

The smell of these zucchini squares cooking is heavenly.  My brother's usually don't let many of them make it to the table.  And my nephew proclaimed at Easter that they were wonderful!  From that one, I take it as an extreme compliment!  This is one way to get a twelve year old to eat his veggies! 

The ingredients are simple and I have been known to double the recipe for family functions.  They reheat well in the microwave, but like any bread just make sure that you heat them for a few seconds only as to not overcook and harden them.

This spring I inherited a green house from my dear Uncle Andy. My husband didn't think that I needed it and now he loves it more than I do. We've practically grown all our vegetables and some of my flowering vines in it this year.  We expect a bumper crop of zucchini this year as the rains seem to keep coming and one seed packet goes a long, long way!

Try this recipe soon.  For the last few years these zucchini squares have been one step from being my next blog post.  It's one of my very favorites and a pretty healthy dish to boot!

Thank you Anita Hill and Louisiana Living cookbook for this wonderful recipe!   If you ever get the chance, buy this cookbook!


Zucchini Squares

3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk biscuit baking mix
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese(2 1/2 ounces), grated cup
1/2 chopped green onions
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini - it calls for peeled, but I leave the skins on
2 tablespoons chopped parsley - I rarely use this
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper (I use regular pepper)
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (I use 1 tsp.)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of pepper sauce (sometimes I use this, sometimes I don't)

Combine eggs, oil, and biscuit mix.  Add cheese, green onions, zucchini, parsley, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce, mixing well.  Spread batter in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Let stand until cook enough to touch.  Cut into small squares.  Serve hot or at room temperature.  Serves 15 - 20.

                                                                              Annette Hill


You'll love them!  And as I have said before about some of my best recipes...the true taste is if they are good cold...these are wonderful cold!  Make them soon and maybe with your abundance of zucchini!











5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love zuchini!! This recipe looks great. I can't have glueten, but they make a Gluten Free Bisquick now that I'll try in there. Thanks, Alise.

The Ranch Kitchen said...

Thank you Vicki. That's a really helpful idea!!!

Lana said...

I just made these squares and they were wonderful! I added fresh garlic instead of powder. I also didn't have any Italian seasoning so I added about 1/4 cup of Italian dressing. It turned out very well and I WILL be making this again. Keep up this bloc. I really enjoy it!

Unknown said...

Sounds so good. Will be trying this one, too. Thanks, Alise

Debra Warren Gilmer,TX said...

I use squash, zucchini, and jalapeños from our garden and double the recipe. My husband's favorite side dish now! Thanks Alise!