Monday, June 11, 2012

Tomatillo Salsa


Our garden is exploding....well not literally...but the good rains we have received and Scott accidentally leaving the sprinkler on all night have resulted in a bumper crop.  Our neighbors and friends are reaping the benefits of our generosity! 


Each year Scott and I garden, however it seems Scott seems to garden more than I do lately.   It seems therapeutic to him after a long day at work.  For myself on the other hand, have gradually become the 'picker', cooker, and put-her-upper wife of all things related to the garden.  If I don't know how to put it up - I google.   Google, as we all know is a wonderful thing....whatever I think or want to ask I google...and wala...it comes up!  Just the other night we had the beginnings of too much cabbage.  Did you know you can freeze cabbage?  Well you can.  You quarter it, blanch it (submerge in a hot water bath) and then allow it to cool.  All the impurities, bugs (ugh- microscopic) and germs are cooked out and you are safe to freeze.  That is my next job....freezing cabbage after my day job is done!


This year we planted tomatillos for the first time.  I was a way impatient for them to produce.  We picked a few well before their time the size of large grapes.  Don't pick them at grape size.  You want them a little larger than a ping pong ball.  The husk makes the tomatillos seem larger than they actually are.  Push the husk in to see how large the tomatillos are.


So finally last night Scott picked some tomatillos.  I googled and devised my own recipe along with things I had in my kitchen.  I hate running to town to the store, even though it is just 6 miles away.  Living in the country means you have a stocked pantry.  My family and friends think I have a problem with the grocery store.  I admit they may be right, but last night I had most items, and what I didn't have my sweet mom picked up on her way in from town...you get resourceful like that.


What resulted from my tomatillos was something I will definitely make for years to come.  It was SOOOOO much better than the bottled variety at our local grocery store.  It was that GOOD!  I know it had to be all the fresh tomatillos and cilantro.  But I think the lime juice threw it over the top.  I can't wait to try my own limes I am growing in containers on my back porch.  I bought Persian Limes in honor of my dad this year, and a few are almost ready to pick. 


For friends who live close by, if you need some tomatillos just 'holler at me' as we say in the south.  I'll get you some!  For those of you further north, you could possibly find them online or in specialty or international food stores.  One of my favorite things to do when we travel to a new city for cow shows or travel is shop in food stores that specialize in hard to find foods and spices.  Next time you find such a store, check it out - you'll be hooked.  Make sure you buy some tomatillos!


So I hope you'll make my rendition of tomatillo salsa.  For those of you that are trying to lose a few pounds, this recipe is definitely in the zero calorie range.  If you are salt conscious, try sea salt of salt substitutes. 


With that said, I'm hitting the refrigerator now to cook up a recipe with what I have left....enjoy! Click here or in the links below for a printable recipe for my Tomatillo Salsa.





6 - 8 tomatillos, husk removed and tops core removed

1 or 2 jalapenos, stems and seeds removed, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, quartered
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro -
1/2 bunch of cilantro

1/2 tsp. of sugar
1 lime, juiced
Salt to taste

Core tomatillos and bring to a boil for 4 minutes in a pot of water.   In a food processor or blender place jalapenos, yellow onion quartered, cilantro, sugar, lime juice and a few sprinkles of salt.  Drain tomatillos and allow to cool with cold water.  Drain and add tomatillos to the blender or food processor.  Pulse to the desired consistency you chose.  I like my sauce chopped finely.  Taste the salsa and add salt and adjust the seasonings.  Serve cold. Refrigerate any left overs...if there are any...it's that good. 


I served this with tortilla chips, but think it would be a great addition to the top of chicken enchilada's or with a bit of sour cream added to the mixture. 


Alise @ The Ranch Kitchen


No comments: