Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sauteed Cajun Squash and Potatoes




Our garden is still producing thanks to God and the rains Texas received this past year!  Prayers have been answered for our hay field and gardens, as our squash, tomatoes, and veggies are taking over my house! My husband has become Farmer Brown and gardening his newest obsession!  Not that we our our neighbors and friends are complaining.  Each night I try to find yet another way to cook the ever growing trays of squash that are accumulating on my cabinets!  We do give some away, but I realize as any squash grower knows, that the season doesn't last long and as we can we need to enjoy the fruits of Scott's labor!


Just the other night I decided that my meat and potato man might like it if I added new potatoes to the squash that I normally fix.  Potatoes take much longer than squash to cook on my wok or pan.  So, I started out by sauteeing the new potatoes (red potatoes) in about a quarter cup of olive oil.  I cooked these until they just started to become tender and turned a slight soft yellow.  To this I added my sliced onions and sliced yellow squash.  You'll notice there are no zuchinni in the picture because our garden had not yet produced any yet.  I added about 4 more tablespoons of olive oil and then some Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning.  If you do not have a good quality Cajun seasoning available, then use garlic salt, pepper, paprika, some chili powder, and red pepper sparingly. 


I continued to sautee this on a medium/low heat until the squash was cooked and the potatoes began to crisp, seasoning with more Cajun spice as needed.  I always taste as I go.  Even when I served my girls baby food...if it didn't taste good...they didn't eat it...that was my motto.  So always check your seasonings with a clean spoon, so that you don't pass on any unwanted germs!


If you don't have your own garden, check out your local Farmer's Market or grocery store for squash that is now in season for May, June, and July.  Prices should be better now and your family will love this recipe I promise!  Also, if you have any great recipes that you would like to share and have me post, please email me and I'll make sure to put it on The Ranch Kitchen.


Enjoy!




Sauteed Cajun Squash and Potatoes


6 - 8 medium sized new red potatoes, sliced in 1/2 inch cubes


1 onion sliced


6 - 8 small to medium squash, sliced into quarters of one inch thickness


3/4 cup olive oil


Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning


Sautee potatoes in 1/2 cup of Olive Oil on medium heat until slightly softened or cooked.  Potatoes should turn a slight yellow.  Add to this one onion sliced and your sliced and quatered squash.  Add the remaining olive oil and cook on low to medium heat.  I like to use my wok for even cooking with more cooking space.  Sprinkle Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning on generously or sparingly depending on your heat preferenced.  Too much Cajun seasoning will 'light' you up as we say in the south!  Continue cooking on low - medium heat until squash and onions are cooked and potatoes start to get a crisp/browned look to them.


Enjoy!


1 comment: