Monday, April 16, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Educated Taste

Brussels Sprouts are not everyone in the world's favorite vegetable.  As my grandfather would say when I was a kid if I didn't like what was on my plate, "It's an educated taste.  You're just not educated or mature enough for it!"  I think back now and think he was pretty profound in that statement!  Although, I profess to hating them as a child, I love, love them as an adult!  Not one of his grandkids were ever picky eaters at his house! I ate my Brussels Sprouts, liver, drank goats milk, and spinach at his house with out complaining!

What I once bought in mostly the freezer isle, now can be found in my local Sam's Club in the fresh produce section.  However, cooking them frozen are not at all bad. One bag of Brussels Sprouts will feed a family of five and two will take care of a small crowd for holidays or when guest come over. 

Sometimes I sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on the cooked Brussels Sprouts.  Truly, it's one of those three to four ingredient dishes that come together in less than thirty minutes from the oven or grill.  If you chose to grill it, make a foil packet, follow the instruction in the recipe below, and add four to six cubes of ice.  The ice will help steam any vegetable as they cook over a low grill fire.  I love foil packets most because of the easy cleanup.  Make a slit on the top and serve right off the grill.





Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1 package of Brussels Sprouts (6 - 8 cups), with hard ends sliced off (about 1/4 inch off the hard bottom) and then slice in half

1/4 to 1/2 cup Olive Oil or Canola Oil

1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon of pepper

1 cup of Parmesan Cheese, grated

Prepare Brussels Sprouts by cutting 1/4 inch of hard bottom core off.  Then slice each Brussels Sprout in half or maybe even fourths depending on the size of each sprout.  Foil line or lightly grease a metal or glass pan.  Place Brussels Sprouts in pan and drizzle with oil, turning to coat well.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Turn on roasting element on your convection or regular oven.  Place pan six to eight inches, even further if you are scared of this being too close from direct flame and roast, checking frequently and turning Brussels Sprouts as they cook.  Brussels Sprouts are cooked when they are soft to the touch and slightly browned.  Some sprouts will get a charred edge to them, but that just adds to the flavor...however...don't get them too charred!  No one likes burnt food!  So you have to watch them closely! I can't stress this near enough as I am the queen of burnt bread!  Roasting can take as long of twenty minutes in the oven or on the grill.  On the grill if you use a foil packet make sure you place ice on the seasoned Brussels Sprouts and fold the packet upward so you do not loose any of the liquid  from the packet that will help cook it. 

I sometimes add Parmesan Cheese to the cooked Brussels Sprouts.  It great with or with out it.  I have thought adding cooked bacon, but have not wanted to add the extra fat.

This is a healthy dish that I know our family will enjoy.  Remember to always introduce your kids to 'educated taste' food in hopes of not making them too picky of an eater!  They never know what they might just love! 

So here's to you to my grandaddy Herbert Young!  Thanks for always making me try 'mature' food as a child, all the while knowing that later I would serve it to his great grandchildren!  He would have loved this dish.

Enjoy!

Alise Nolan


No comments: