Sunday, March 2, 2014

New Years Eve Onion Swiss Cheese Bake

**** This is from an old post that I guess I never posted!  LOL!  This Vidalia Onion and Swiss Cheese Bake is really good...but the post is a year old....gotta love blogging and random post I didn't know I pushed.

**********************From New Years 2012*************************

As I have aged, New Years Eve has taken on a new perspective.  It is no longer about the huge parties, up all night and waking up late the next day.  It's now more about family, friends, and a quiet, nice get together at home where we eat too much, visit, watch the ball drop on the t.v. and the little ones play, and check in on our girls who are out enjoying their evening like we did for so many years.  This year will be no different.  I honestly think I am more excited about this new year than I have been in many years. With my oldest daughter graduated with her masters and determining her future, my middle daughter now classified as a junior at Texas A&M, our 'baby' now a fifth grader, my great job with fantastic administrators, teachers and staff, the great ladies I now serve with on the National Hereford Women board, my sweet husband, and our ranch, life hasn't slowed down and we are excited to see where life takes us all in this new year.  Blessings have been many in our lives and we are very, very thankful to God for his many gifts.

Just this past month I prepared a dish that I think is the perfect pairing with beef.  And if you read my blog...you know we love our Hereford beef on our ranch.  My husband also loves Swiss Cheese more than any thing else I think on this planet.  So with the Vidalia Onions we love and Swiss Cheese, we had the perfect combination of flavors that everyone really enjoyed.  My blogging has taken a back seat recently to my busy life and one of my resolutions for the new year is to post more in the next year and put a few more lower calorie versions or adaptions on the recipes I post.

I hope you'll try this new dish that we all now love.  Preparation time was a bare minimum and I can't wait to try this with steak on the grill or on the side of brisket.  And I have to give credit, where credit is due as I got this recipe off of a new site I found called Instructables.com and they call it Cheesy Onion Casserole.  


Vidalia Onion and Swiss Cheese Bake

Ingredients:

2-3 Tbs butter or margarine
3 large sweet onions or 4 medium white or yellow onions
2 c. shredded Swiss cheese (8 oz.)
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted**
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. soy sauce
8 or so slices of French bread       

Slice onions and try not to cry. With this many onions, its hard.

Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat, and add onions. Saute onions until clear, a little brown is ok. In a shallow 2 qt. casserole pan, layer onions, 2/3 of cheese and pepper to taste.    

Assemble Casserole

Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat, and add onions. Saute onions until clear, a little brown is ok. In a shallow 2 qt. casserole pan, layer onions, 2/3 of cheese and pepper to taste.  In a sauce pan, heat soup, milk, and soy sauce, stirring to blend. Pour soup mixture in a casserole and stir gently to mix. Top with bread slices. 

Bake at 350 uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, top of bread should be nice and toasted.  Push bread slices under the sauce and top with the remaining cheese.

Finish Baking and Eat!

Place casserole back in oven and finish baking for 15 more minutes. 

Total prep time: 20 minutes.  
Total baking time: 30 minutes. 



No comments: