Saturday, August 2, 2014

Peaches, peaches and more peaches!


This week peaches took over my kitchen and many others in our little part of East Texas and the south.  Roadside stands are bursting with not only the vegetables from our mild, wet summer, but fresh peaches that are just coming into season.

 
If you are looking for a great recipe to use your peaches, then this Easy Peach Crisp by a friend of The Ranch Kitchen Kathy Sewell McClain from my hometown is for you!  I am so happy she shared a recipe with my Share a Recipe Link on my site The Ranch Kitchen. It's so easy to do this by first creating an account and then sharing your recipe.  I am looking forward to many other of her great recipes on my site.  This week she shared a recipe from her mother that I am sure each time she makes it brings back many great memories. 
 
Both of us are lucky enough to live next to Efurd Orchards that has spectacular peaches each summer!  This summer has been abnormally wet in Texas and the peaches and all of us have benefited from the rain and cooler weather.


 
My daughters and I went out and bought a bushel of their ripest peaches to make Peach Preserves the other day that we actually froze in Ball's freezable containers and in freezer bags to use in my Winner Peach Ice Cream later this winner in my Cuisinart Ice Cream and Yogurt Machine.  Once thawed, the peach preserves are good in my refrigerator for up to 2 months.  Much thanks to Ball for the recipe that I modified slightly for these Peach Preserves and to my Bethany for helping to peal 40 of them! 




Later that night I made a peach sauce to go over my newest recipe for Chicken with Peach Sauce.  The surprise addition was an onion that really added to the flavor of the roasted chicken.  You could really speed this recipe up by using a rotisserie chicken from your grocery store and just spoon your sauce over it reheating in your oven or microwave.


 
For dessert we experimented with a Crock Pot Peach Pie Cobbler from fresh peaches of course and my Winner Peach Ice Cream that I created for my July Sure Champ VitaFerm Blog Recipes from the Ranch post.  The Crock Pot Peach Pie Cobbler will be on my August Sure Champ VitaFerm post later this week for those wanting something easy to cook at state fairs across our country! 
 

*************************************************************************************

My family is now officially tired of peaches (I'm almost tired of peaches too) and we discovered that my Bethany is both allergic to the skins of peaches and mangos now!  

She is being a trooper while she is home helping me cook...cleaning up after my cooking and helping me with her little sister!  She will gladly go back to A&M in a few weeks...but we will most certainly miss her tons!  

So peaches, peaches and more peaches are in my recipe post for today!  Hope you'll click on the recipes above and try them out for yourself.  Peach orchards are now trying to make themselves more of a destination experience by having fresh peach ice cream, canned syrups, jams, jellies and other fresh vegetables. Efurds Orchard does an excellent job and has so many photo opportunities for families and children.

 
Alise - The Ranch Kitchen

No comments: