Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Black-eyed Pea Salsa

In the south we are all about our black-eyed peas.  Anytime of the year is a good time to eat them cooked fresh, from out of the freezer, or out of the can.  Above is a recipe I threw together trying to mimic a good friends 'Black-eyed Pea Salsa'.  If you read my blog often, you know I am all about easy cooking recipes.  I work a full time job and run girls around the country...so what I fix usually takes minimal time and ingredients.  Hope you enjoy my rendition.

Black-eyed Pea Salsa

2 cans black-eyed peas with jalapenos, drained
1 bell pepper, chopped fine
1 sweet onion, chopped fine
1 16 ounce bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 4 ounce jar of pimentos, drained
2 tablespoons granulated sugar or 2 packets of Splenda
Salt and pepper to taste

Drain black-eyed peas.  Add bell pepper, sweet onion (I love the 1015's onions), and pimentos.  Add bottle of Zesty Italian Dressing.  Stir well.  Add 2 tablespoons of sugar (less if you are watching your sugar and you can substitute Splenda).  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Place in a gallon size Ziploc bag a chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 23 hours.  Serve as a side with dinner or with tortilla chips.  This is always a favorite at New Year's eve or anytime.  This salsa gets better the longer it marinates in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

hotpotcooking said...

Nice variation.

country girl said...

I have a recipe called Texas Cavier that is similar. but i add galic podwer and no pemento's. I serve mine with cream cheese and ritz crakers.