Friday, August 3, 2012

Country Style Pork Ribs

Sometimes I think cooks shy away from cooking ribs of any kind in the kitchen. They believe it is delegated to the outside grill and not to the indoor oven.  For years I have cooked all styles of ribs in my house much like you would do a simple roast.  Even though we raise Hereford cattle on our ranch, I do love pork ribs.  

Probably the thing I like best about pork ribs is the ability to have tons of leftovers that can be used for my favorite of all pork enchiladas that I cook usually the next night or two after the first night of our rib dinner. 

Foil is your best friend when cooking ribs because no one enjoys scrubbing baked-on grease off a pan.  I simply prep my foil with cooking spray and lay in a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish or roasting pan.  I then layer my ribs, seasoning as I go with Tony Chachere's More Spice or their Creole Seasoning and then add water to just up half of the ribs.  Next, I secure my foil on top by folding upwards with the bottom piece of foil to make an airtight packet for the meat to steam/cook in.  In my convection or regular oven, I turn the temperature to 400 degrees and cook about 1 and one-half hour or until the meat forks easily away from the bone and the meat has turned white.  You do not ever want to eat pork that is pink and not cooked well.  As I rule I allow the ribs to sit five minutes and then I place on a platter and cut in serving size chunks to serve.  Sometimes during the last thirty minutes, I will brush with BBQ sauce and uncover the meat for those last few minutes of cooking time.  Make sure you have used enough foil so that no water escapes and cooks under your packets.  The bake on the mess you will have is never any fun later.

This is a go-to meal when I have a large group of guest or family over.  I am always amazed that people have never had them.  We haven't found anyone who doesn't always love country-style ribs.

I usually prepare a large amount so that I can use the pork in a variety of ways like my enchiladas I describe earlier.  The Ranch Kitchen's King Ranch Enchilada's  are wonderful when you use leftover shredded pork instead of chicken.  A lot of the times I will also use the leftover rib meat in jambalaya or in open-faced BBQ sandwiches the next night.  Since these ribs do tend to be fatty, I always remove the fat and discard.

I am sure you can find other ways to use your leftover pork or for that matter beef rib meat.  If you have a recipe, I'd love to hear about it. 


Country Style Pork Ribs

4 - 8 Country Style Ribs (bone-in or out)
4 cups of water
Pam Cooking Spray
Tony Chachere's More Spice, Creole Seasoning or any quality BBQ Seasoning
Foil
Glass or metal roaster

Prepare pan by spraying with cooking spray.  Lay foil on the bottom of the pan making sure that foil comes out by at least 5 inches or more so that when you attach the 2nd layer or top piece or layer of foil they will fold together easily. 

Season meat and place in a single row with fat side up.  Add water to just up to half the pork ribs.  Cover with remaining foil, forming a packet by folding foil upwards.  Cook on 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 - 1/2 hour or until pork is cooked.  Be careful when unfolding the foil as the steam that escapes will burn your hands and arms. 

Allow meat to sit for at least five minutes to seal in juices.  Remove to a platter and cut in serving size pieces. 

You really can't get much simpler than this meal and the smell coming out of your kitchen will make everyone beg for dinner!  Enjoy!

I also have enclosed a link to the www.porkbeinspired.com site that will give you more ideas for great country style rib and pork recipes.  Give these country-style pork ribs a try this weekend.  You'll love them. 

http://www.porkbeinspired.com/RecipeDetail/1970/Carolina_Country_Style_Ribs.aspx#.UBvVzlbmFCk.blogger

Remember that no one said cooking had to be hard!

Alise - The Ranch Kitchen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG, those sound so delicious!