Thursday, June 16, 2011

Marinated Squash from The Ranch Kitchen's Garden

The other night I tried something new.  I just don't think you can mess up squash on the grill anyway you cook it.  That night I was in a hurry.  Family was coming over for an unexpected visit and I wanted to be done with part of dinner.  Have I told you how much I love Newman's Own Salad Dressings?   Well I absolutely love them...all of them...haven't found one I don't like or love!  Their Caesar Salad Dressing that is made with oil and not creamy was my dressing of choice on this night. 

 I cut up all my squash in fourths, in small 1/2 inch slices.  To this I added a yellow onion, sliced.  And then some fresh new potatoes in small slices...make sure you do not cube your potatoes a you want them as thinly sliced, even thinner than your squash or you will have your squash cooked and undercooked potatoes! Potatoes are optional...I had some on hand so I added them.  

To the vegetables I added the entire bottle of Newman's Own Caesar Salad Dressing and tossed.  I actually kept this in the refrigerator all night and the next day as our guest stayed a little long and we had summer sausage for dinner that night instead!  Occasionally toss your squash in the dressing in the refrigerator.  A gallon Ziplock bag would be excellent for this as you could easily just turn it in the fridge every once in a while. 

When I started to prepare dinner, I used my wok to cook the marinated squash.  I used no oil, as this marinade had plenty.  I used did not use any other spices as the Newman's Own Caesar Dressing had all that as well.  I simply turned the fire under my wok on medium and sauteed my squash until they were done and soft throughout! 

My husband loved it and so did I.  The marinade did not overpower the squash and cooked off nicely in the wok.  If you don't own a wok, you would enjoy it.  I use mine often and it is easy to clean up.

I hope you'll try this recipe for Marinated Squash!  With the overabundance we now have in our garden, I am trying all sorts of new ways to prepare and serve it!

Marinated Squash

6 yellow squash, sliced
3 zucchini squash, sliced
3 potatoes, slicked (optional)
1 onion, sliced
16 ounce bottle of Newman's Own Caesar Dressing - oily one...not creamy

Slice both yellow squash, zucchini in fourths no larger than 1/2 inch in width.  Cut onions and potatoes in smaller sized 1/4 inch slices.  Add Newman's Own Caesar Dressing to this and marinate in the refrigerator over night for at least 2 hours. 

Cook over medium heat in a Teflon coated skillet or wok until all vegetables are soft.  

Enjoy!

Get cooking!

Alise

1 comment:

Fairchild Farmgirl said...

This does sound good. I don't think it registered to all my crew that when you plant 2 packages of zuchinni that you get ALOT of zuchinni! =) I want to try your recipe with it. Sounds delicious!

Suzanne