Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Ranch Kitchen's Salmon Patties or Croquettes



One of my favorite comfort foods has always been salmon patties or as some call them salmon croquettes!  I try to always keep two cans of a good quality red salmon in my pantry at all times for when I start to crave them.  I put a twist off my mom's recipe that is fantastic and added some dill to it.  I have also added mint before and it is equally as good. 

It's a basic recipe that I fry in Canola Oil and serve with home style french fries, a salad, and usually green beans or corn on the cob.  Be warned though....your kitchen will have that salmon smell...but it is worth it.  Just clean your pan pretty quick!

The Ranch Kitchen's Salmon Patties or Croquettes

2 - 16 ounce cans of red salmon, drained and cleaned (little bones out - you can leave them in or out.  I prefer out!
1 onion chopped fine
2 eggs beaten
1/ 4 cup milk
1 tablespoon of mustard spread (from the squirt jar or jar)
1  - 2 tsp. dill or mint to taste...I personally like  2 tsps.
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers, crushed in their sleeve...you have to be gentle for this to work!

Place cleaned salmon in a large bowl.  Add to salmon the onion, milk, eggs and Saltine Crackers and blend with a fork.  Add seasoning as you continue to blend ingredients.  Form into palm sized patties, making sure that all edges are smooth and not ragged.  Fry in 1 inch of oil until both sides are browned.  I like mine well done and crispy...but it is up to you how long you cook them.  After you take the out of the pan, drain the salmon patties on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with extra garlic salt.

Enjoy!  I also love them cold as to me they are that good and make sure you have ketchup on hand!

Get cooking!

Alise

No comments: