Monday, May 16, 2011

Fajitas Over a Campfire - W4 Ranch & Lake Whitney

Camping in our RV - Motorhome is one of my very favorite things to do!  I never dreamed I would enjoy it so much!  The things I like most are that you are gone from home with your only obligation being to relax, sit by the fire, fish, swim, and ride around in the boat!  My girl love to wake board and I enjoy just watching them try new tricks! 


This weekend we spent at Lake Whitney State Park in Texas. It is a lovely park that has beautiful clear water!  My husband and youngest daugther went down the day before for a daddy/daughter trip as I had to teach and my middle daughter had an FFA Scholarship Interview.  We were attending a sale at W4 Ranch which is a Hereford Ranch outside Morgan, Texas for the Texas Hereford Association entitled 'Hats off to Herefords'.  Many thanks to W4 and all the Hereford breeders who brought or bought cattle at this sale that helped benefit the association.  We got some great pictures of our Bethany on the place as well.  It is absolutely a gorgeous ranch!  I can just imagine an Indian or cowboy coming over a bluff on horseback!

Later on that day, we spent the afternoon after the sale riding around on parts of their over 50,000 acre ranch!  You'll see some other pictures I have posted below as well....notice Audrey's grip on my arm...we were at the top of the cliff!  She is her mommas child....we both HATE heights!  We enjoyed our time with the Hartley's of H2 Ranch and the Coffelts of Whitney FFA.  It was nice to catch up with them away from a cattle show. 


Photo courtesy of www.forums.marlinmag.com

One of my favorite things to cook while we are on one of our camping trips is fajitas.  It's easy as cooking a steak on the grill.   I foil wrap my onions and bell peppers in a little oil, Cajun seasoning, and a few ice cubes to make sure my vegetables don't cook too quickly.   Once we have our meat and onions cooked and tortillas warmed over the fire, you simply need your salsa, guacamole, and chips and your meal is done!  Paper plates are set out, as are our fine plastic forks and knives.  Serve your favorite beverage or margaritas and enjoy your night under the stars!


Skirt steak is my preferred cut of meat that I use for my fajitas, but I have been known to take out some of my CHB (Certified Hereford Beef) round steaks from our herd to use as my beef.  A lot of this meal you can get ready at home and throw in your cooler or refrigerator.  I really like the new non-stick foil also for cooking these fajitas as it just released so well and helps me not overcook my meats.

*********
I hope you'll find time to camp at one of the many state parks in your area.  It's an activity I wish we had done earlier with our older girls, but we are making up for now with our youngest daughter! 

W4 Ranch Bluff
Scott has talked about the view from the top of this for years and we finally got to experience it!
 
Here we are on top of the bluff..notice our little ones white knuckles!

***********************

The Ranch Kitchen's Easy Fajita Marinade!

3 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
1 lime, juiced
1 - 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt - I like mine salty
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

Add skirt steak to this marinade in a plastic bag or container.  Refrigerate 30 minutes, making sure to coat all of the steak in the marinade.  Grill on top of your fire on non stick foil or in a foil pack.

Serve in flour tortillas with roasted onions, peppers, and jalapenos!  This recipe is great along with refried beans, Spanish rice, guacamole, and Nolana's Family Hot Sauce!  Don't forget a very large fishbowl Margarita!  Sit back and enjoy!

Alise

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

How fun, Alise! We love to go RV camping. We sold our RV when we moved back to Texas from Virginia, but we hope to someday soon buy another one. It really is a great family activity and seems to bring you closer to your loved ones. :-)

crystal.cattle said...

Alise, it was so good to see you as well. I was telling Kristi Bishop about your blog, and she said your chicken spaghetti is to die for! Have you posted that on here yet? Let me know if you need any help with your blog layout and design!
www.crystalcattle.com

The Ranch Kitchen said...

Thanks Jennifer! We love it...as soon as school as out we will be camping and Scott catfishing!

And Crystal...funny thing..I thought I had posted that recipe and realized I hadn't! Please tell Kristi hello and to stop by!

Thanks for reading! And yes..Crystal help appreciated!