Monday, April 7, 2014

Campfire Cobbler



This weekend was one of many camping trips our family will take this spring and summer. We enjoyed our first camping trip at a local lake that is close to home, but far enough away that you feel like you are actually 'away'!  My husband enjoys setting out his catfish trot lines and I enjoy reading my magazines, sitting by the fire and sleeping in later than 7:30...that is my guilty pleasure....just sleeping in.  We had our good friends the Parkers out and it was nice just to catch up and enjoy their company! 

As I've gotten older I find I am a list maker and more of a planner than I have ever been. The spontaneity that I had in my youth has given way to each detail being planned out, even though I may still have to stop by the store on my way out of town.  This weekend my husband wanted to try a dessert recipe in his cast iron Dutch oven that we usually use to fry fish in.  I found an easy cake recipe all over the Internet that some call a cobbler.  It's an easy 1, 2, 3 recipe that calls for 3 ingredients plus a few sprays of Pam cooking oil.  The recipe consist of a cake mix, 1 stick of margarine or butter, and 2 cans of your favorite can of pie filling.  I chose to use a devil's food cake mix, 2 cans of cherry pie filling, and the 1 stick of butter. 

Honestly, you can use any combination of cake mixes and pie fillings for this recipe.  The next night I used instead a box of Butter Recipe cake mix and another 2 cans of cherry pie filling.  I'm envisioning for my third cobbler using peach pie filling and a white cake mix as sounds pretty good to me.  I may even drizzle caramel over the top of it or melted white chocolate.

If you cook this over the campfire as we did, make sure to cook over indirect heat (not full on high fire hitting your Dutch oven).  I also took the Dutch oven off the fire and allowed it to sit with the lid on the last ten minutes to continue cooking. 

The next night, I cooked this recipe in a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish in my oven at home on 375 degrees for 50 minutes.  It was just as good and would have been perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!



Campfire Cobbler

1 box cake mix of your choice, dry and not prepared (I used Devil's Food Cake)
2 cans pie filling (I used cherry pie filling)
1 stick margarine or butter, melted in your microwave until just turned to liquid (I used margarine)

Spray Dutch oven with Pam cooking spray generously.  Pour in 2 cans of pie filling.  Sprinkle on 1 box of dry cake mix evenly over pie fillings.  Pour 1 stick melted margarine or butter over cake mix.  You will not have enough to cover all the cake mix, so do not worry about it! 

Bake on 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until crust on top is browned over most of cobbler. 


Cook and serve along side ice cream or alone!  It's an easy dessert dish that you can create any number of ways and perfect to make for large crowds in a crock pot.  If you bake in a crock pot, prepare as directed above and cook on high heating element for 4 hours. 



These pictures may look like the cobbler is a little overdone, but honestly not a burnt piece in it. But do be careful and watch it closely if you chose to cook it over your campfire!

Enjoy!

Alise @ The Ranch Kitchen!

No comments: