Monday, February 24, 2014

Brown Sugar Pound Cake



I remember the first real cake I ever baked.  My mom let me do it all by myself and I added a cup of salt instead of a cup of sugar.  It rose and looked gorgeous...but my little brother Brent's face said it all!  I've never made that mistake again and always think back to that each time I get out a cup of sugar! 

This cake I found on The Lady Behind the Curtain's blog and it has more sugar in it than any cake I've ever made.  Having made this cake last year at Thanksgiving for a seasonal celebration that is all about excess... I was thankful it only comes once a year!  

So, I didn't count the calories in this and especially after I poured caramel sauce over the top of it!  My mixer almost started to smoke from overload of pecans, Bit of Brick Toffee Bits candy and the 3 cups of white and cups of white and brown sugar (not joking), but it sure was worth it.  The crust is my favorite part and is to die for!  The sugar crystallizes on the outside and makes the cake get this beautiful crusted glow to it. I'm thinking maybe Mother's Day I'll bake this wonderful cake again!

I've followed this blog The Lady Behind the Curtain for a few years and her recipes are wonderful!  Her Brown Sugar Pound Cake is no exception and seems to be a favorite on her Pinterest site. Here's the link @


The Lady Behind the Curtain's
Brown Sugar Pound Cake

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 5 large eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 – 8 ounce bag of toffee bits
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 recipe caramel drizzle - recipe on her site
Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a 12 cup Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.

Place softened butter along with light brown and white granulated sugar in a mixing bowl. Begin to beat on a low speed.  Continue beating and add eggs, one at time.  Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a side bowl and set aside. Begin adding 1/2 cup flour with alternate 1/4 cup of milk to the sugar and egg mixture as you continue to mix with the blender.  End with flour.  Add 1 - 8 ounce bag of Bit of Brick Toffee Bits to mixture and blend. Then add pecans a little at a time and continue to blend. 
Cook on  325 for 75 to 85 minutes until the cake can take a toothpick poked thru the center of the cake and it comes out clean, without any cake sticking to it.  Allow it to cool completely and invert on to a cake dish with a deep side to it.  Spoon over store bought caramel sauce of make you own!  This is why you need to deep sided dish!
The Lady Behind the Curtain has a link on her site where she made homemade caramel sauce and it looks wonderful http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/easy-caramel-drizzle-sauce/.  I took the easy way out by purchasing the caramel sauce at the store.  I should have bought two containers instead of the one of the caramel sauce as it didn't seem to go far enough. 
Enjoy and hope you enjoy this as much as we did! 

    No comments: