Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie




Sharing this wonderful looking Sweet Potato Pie today from my friend Karen Steelman Shirley who I've know for just a 'few' years!  Karen and I teach in the same district and her happy spirit and kind heart is truly a blessing to me and her students.  

She posted on Facebook how she made this pie and I asked her if it could be shared on my blog.  In our little hometown we have a pie contest each year with sweet potatoes that are judged simply on the flavor of this vitamin packed vegetable.  The intent is for the spice not to overpower the flavor and I think her family recipe does just that!  

I like to bake my sweet potatoes on a foil lined cookie sheet, tips cut off and spray their skins with just a bit of oil.  

This would be an excellent addition to your holiday table! 

Sweet Potato Pie

4 sweet potatoes, baked and mashed
1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
11/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
2 pie shells/crust, ready made

Bake four large sweet potatoes or yams in the oven on 250 degrees until soft to the touch (when you squeeze them they should feel like they will come apart).  This should allow you six cups of potatoes.  Mash them and add 1/3 cup butter that has been softened.  To this add 4 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk and all spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and ground cloves). Mix all together and beat well with a mixer until smooth.  Pour into pie shells and bake on 425 approximately 45 minutes until done. This will make 2 - 9 inch pies.  



Thanks so much Karen Steelman Shirley for sharing this pie from your family member Dale Montgomery! 

No comments: