Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tomato Pesto Flatbread



The world is becoming a much smaller place. Foods I once could only find in larger, metropolitan areas are now close at hand in my local groceries. I love how we can go to my local Sam's Club and find Naan bread or a Mercado and find tomatillos anytime of the year!

Recently I've decided to try to use up my pantry before I have to throw cans and jars out due to their expedition date. I ever so slightly have a hoarding tendency when it comes to my pantry and try to always have what ever I need to cook with when the urge hits me. For the last year I've had a small jar of tomato pesto there ready for me to use and last night I finally did! 

Tomato pesto is just a really spiced up version of a tomato paste with basil and a lot of garlic. It's pricey, but well worth it.  I used this version by Classico Sun Dried Tomato Pesto that was really very good.  I plan to reinvent this on my own as soon as I can!


I placed about 2 tablespoons on my Naan bread and then added grated mozzarella cheese to it. Next time I'll add mozzarella chunks and some fresh basil as I get some from my garden. 

The Tomato Pesto bread was then baked in the oven around 400 degrees until the cheese has just melted. Using my pizza wheel cutter, I sliced the bread and served it along our marinated salmon birthday dinner for our Bethany. 

This time the bread was baked on foil, but I usually use my baking pizza stone for the best results. It makes a crispier crust. 

I telling you that I literally could have made myself sick on this Tomato Pesto bread as it was that good. This recipe will now be a 'go to' side for parties and meals at our house when we either cook this on the grill or in the oven. With a glass of Los Pinos Rodeo Red Wine, this side is perfect! 

Click here at Tomato Pesto Flatbread for the recipe. 

So be adventurous! Try new foods and spice them up to fit your lifestyle and taste!  The world thankfully is a much smaller place!  Go try it one bite at a time!  

Alise - The Ranch Kitchen 

No comments: