Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Granny's Wilted Cabbage

My Granny's Wilted Cabbage

Recipes are like treasures to me.  When lost, I feel like a piece of myself has gone missing.  For the last several years I have been trying to 'recreate' a favorite recipe of my Granny's.  For the most part her recipes have been written down carefully by my mother, but this recipe was one that seemed lost forever.  

It's simple and healthy, and I like to think my Granny learned it from her year living above a Chinese Restaurant in China Town in San Diego.  During World War II, as she waited for my grandfather's US Navy ship to sail in from the Pacific theatre, my Granny lived and worked in China Town.  Granny was fearless.  And her parents even more so, allowing her to travel from Texas and live in San Francisco as a young woman.  She used to tell me how she taught the cooks in the restaurant how to cook 'American style' and they in turn would teach her their traditional Chinese recipes. It's stories like these that I wish I had taped her voice saying.  Her face would light up remembering those happy times.

The recipe I am sharing today must have come from her time living in China Town.  It's one of my favorites that I made for my daughters before they left for college over Christmas break as we all were trying to eat healthier.  Needless to say, they loved it as much as I always did. 

I'm happy to say that my Granny's 'Wilted Cabbage' is now found and is as close as I can get it to the original recipe.  Wilted Cabbage can once again be cooked for the people she loved. 

It seemed to me that anything she cooked was fabulous.  I hope someday I can be as creative a cook as she was.  I know she is smiling down on me and our families now.  I miss her everyday. 


Granny's Wilted Cabbage

1 head of cabbage
1 large to medium white or yellow onion
1/4 cup Canola or Grape Seed Oil or more if cabbage begins to stick
2 - 3 tablespoons of prepared mustard
garlic salt and pepper to taste

Slice cabbage and onions into 1 inch strips.   In a large non stick pan or skillet with tall sides, pour 1/4 cup Canola or Grape Seed Oil.  Heat and cabbage and oil on medium to high heat, turning frequently with tongs or a spatula being careful not to splash heated liquid on your skin.  Saute the cabbage until halfway wilted (cabbage will be partially cooked and slightly limp).  

Season to taste.  Continue to cook, reducing fire to low.  Add 2 -3 tablespoons of prepared mustard to cabbage.  Continue to cook/saute on low, tasting for seasoning and adding garlic salt and pepper to taste. 

***Remember that a little mustard and garlic salt go a long way.  Serve hot with any meal or alone as a tasty, low fat meal.  Sausage can be added, turning this cabbage into a main dish.

Enjoy and hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.  

Alise - The Ranch Kitchen 





3 comments:

Micheal Daves said...

Hello the story and the recipe both sound awesome. I was wondering if the mustard makes it tart or can you even taste it in there. Just curious I am not a huge fan of mustard.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing I plan to try very soon. Loved the story as well.

joy said...

Hi, I hope you have a good day. Thank you for inspiring us. You bring joy to our face.Visit my site if you have time.

kieth

www.n8fan.net